Switch to English Passare a Italiano

ITALIAN AGENCY FOR DEVELOPMENT COOPERATIONLebanon and SyriaBeirut Office

AGENZIA ITALIANA PER LA COOPERAZIONE ALLO SVILUPPO  - Libano e Siria - Sede di Beirut | – ITALIAN AGENCY FOR DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION - Lebanon and Syria - Beirut Office Ambasciata d'Italia a Beirut European Union Presidency of the Council of Ministers - Lebanon

The situation in Jordan

The situation in Jordan

In the last four years, Jordan has received at least 626 thousand Syrians (52% of which, children). At the moment, Syrians represent about 14% of the total population. The widening of the conflict scenario has also generated a further influx of refugees from Iraq (22,000 new arrivals during 2014, bringing the number of Iraqis in the country to about 45,000), with a further 15,000 Syrians of Palestinian origin who despite falling under the protection mandate of UNRWA are a further burden on the already fragile social and economic welfare of the country.

The vast majority (85%) of the refugees are distributed on the national territory and hosted in the rural and urban communities, whilst the remaining 15% are staying in camps purposely set up. The camp of Za'atari currently hosts about 84,000 Syrians, that of Azraq 15,500 and the Jordanian-UAE camp counts about 5,100 persons.

Out of the estimated 230,000 school-age children not more than 55% are actually enrolled in school, while a minimum percentage participate in activities of informal education, and at least another 70,000 children have no access to any kind of education. The food security of the refugees is seriously threatened by the fund shortage of WFP for the distribution of food stamps. About 180,000 people have left the WFP support network, resulting in a growing vulnerability which in some cases has even led some to return to Syria.

According to the Jordanian Government, in order for the country to cope with this crisis, an amount of about $ 2 billion (Jordan Response Plan 2015) is needed, of which at least 1.15 billion for the direct support of the state budget.


Since the end of 2012 until now, Italy has contributed to the humanitarian emergency response in Jordan with about 11.2 M € through: contributions to the International Organizations (UNHCR, WHO, WFP, UNICEF, IOM, UN Women, CICR), the equipment of a field polyclinic in Za’tari camp and the construction of a hospital in Azraq camp (managed by FICROSS), in addition to other interventions directly implemented or entrusted to Italian NGOs present in the country. The most targeted sectors of intervention include health and protection of the most vulnerable groups (women and children) in line with the priorities of the Italian Cooperation, the Government of Jordan and the international community.